Monday 1 October 2012

What's New in 2G?

I just want to give an overview of what our main learning contexts were so far. We started the year with "Je rencontre mes amis." We learned more about our friends in Grade 2, about our school and expectations for the year. Our big topic of inquiry had to do with collecting data and sharing information about ourselves. We made graphs showing our favorite school snacks and after school activities. These will be added to the students' portfolios. We also celebrated our uniqueness and talents. Everyone is an "étoile!"

Our current topic is "Notre quartier" - exploring our community. We learned about the physical environment through studying 2D shaped and 3D objets. We constructed mini-models of "communities" using toothpicks, marshmallows, and modeling clay. These are on display in our school library. Now we are entering deeper into the topic of our community, focusing on needs, wants, and community services. Our big topic of inquiry is "How does our community respond to our needs?" In the next few days, I am hoping to organize a "neighbourhood walk." I plan to take the students down center street and together we will observe and document what our city has to offer in terms of services, and how these services support our community. You should expect more detailed information in my next blog post.

Finally, I want to share information regarding home reading. As you may have noticed, I assign very little homework above unfinished classwork. I recognize that the children work hard during the day and have full plates with after school activities. However, I ask that you please support your children with their daily home reading. I am starting a daily 1 hour literacy period based on the "Daily 5" technique (please see link.) In French I refer to this as "Café Lecture." During this time I target individual and small groups of students with mini-lessons in reading strategies, & vocabulary, and I also do weekly reading tests with each student. Please make sure that the green reading bag comes home every night and that you listen to your child read in French. I understand that you may not speak French, but you will still pick up on what difficulties you child may have by tuning in to how he or she reads aloud. And of course I encourage you to read to them or with them every night in English. Many skills are transferable from one language to another. Your support is much appreciated!

Daily 5 parent letter


No comments:

Post a Comment